View Single Post
Old 11-17-02, 04:28 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mongoose was once a manufacturer of quality bicycles. Now the name means nothing.

Here are the options I see for you, Sean:

1. Return the bike to Toys R Us and have them make it right. Keep in mind that the next bike will likely have been assembled by the same caliber of mechanic who set up the one you have with the wobbly wheels. Eventually they may get it right for you.

2. Take the bike to a local bike shop with a qualified mechanic. He'll charge you a few dollars to fix the wobbly wheels, and will probably go over the bike to find anything else that the Toys R Us hacks messed up. He could even install better brakes. LBS mechanics make a lot of money fixing toy store bikes.

3. Return the bike to Toys R Us and get your money back. Apply it toward a better quality bike for your kid. I know that bike shop prices seem high, but you really do move into a new level of quality and service when you deal with a dedicated bike shop. Your local bike shop might even have a used bike that will work for you. I would rather have a used bike of good quality that has been worked on by a good mechanic than a brand new toy store bike.

4. Get some cone wrenches and do the work yourself. It isn't that hard but takes proper tools and some mechanical ability.

I know we all seem snobbish here. We don't mean to. It simply is the case that a real bike shop will give you a better product and better service than a toy store. You do get what you pay for.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Wobbly wheels are probably a sign of loose bearings which do not get better by themselves. If he rides on those hubs, it won't take long before they are toast.

Last edited by RegularGuy; 11-17-02 at 04:33 PM.