Old 04-14-12, 08:01 PM
Specialized2k10
Pedal Warrior

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez with SRAM Force gruppo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did one summit and a south gate climb. You guys are right, climbing both sides is better than staying on one side. I started the ride with derailleur issues the first 2-3 miles of the ride which made me think i was going to have to turn back. eventually got it fixed and kept going to the summit. Diablo was crowded today. Ive done junction about 10 times and summit 5, but i have never seen this many people. Saw a few guys descending that were cutting by cars and crossing the yellow line to get by, probably worried about their strava time, not worth the risk to me though. overall, it was a good ride. I felt better than i expected by the time i climbed south gate. I felt like going up summit a second time and seeing how far i could get but fiance called and I had to come home.

side note...one cool thing today, while crawling up the wall there was cyclist by the elevation sign encouraging a couple of cyclists and myself not to give and finish the climb. he had already reached the summit and i assume he was just hanging out, but him encouraging me gave me that push i needed to finish strong. man that wall sucks...all previous summits, i have stopped at the bottom and let my legs rest a couple mins...today i kept pedaling...lungs were ok but the legs were aching from all the climbing.

also, im starting to realize that nutrition is just as important as training...getting hungry and weak has always been a problem for me on long rides. i think i found my items to keep me going. i had 12 shot blocks, 3 gu packs, 1 peanut butter and honey sandwich, 28 oz of gu brew, and about 44 oz of water. by the time i got back to the car, i wasnt hungry. most of the time my stomach is growling and i want to go to the nearest buffet and pig out.

this is the strava link http://app.strava.com/rides/6743761 with more training im sure two summits is possible.