Old 04-15-12, 04:27 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RedMocking
I road the Trek Neko today and LOVED it! I have no complaints what-so-ever about how it felt or handled.... however they only have the SL in stock... and I am wondering if the upgrades are really worth the extra $200?? I tried some of the other bikes and really appreciated the disc brakes and smooth shifting. Any input on if there is a very similar ride for cheaper or if I should just suck it up and have a more durable/better package.
From a technical standpoint, yes, the upgrades provide value "worth" the extra cash. Is the cheaper bike worthy? Yes, that's true too. Both will last equally-long and work just as well if you take care of them properly. Me? I'd spend the money, but that's only because I'm an over-the-top anal tinkerer, and I'd probably spend aftermarket money on the upgrades later.

Now, refer back to Condorita's words, and buy what moves you. At this price, and with the homework you've obviously already done, you're going to get appropriate value for your money. Buy the right frame size - that's the one imperative with a bike, and the Trek is only available in three sizes so it's all the more important with that model - and be aware that there's a vast range of tweaks on a given bike to fit it properly, and an even vaster range of aftermarket parts which will focus the bike even closer to your actual needs. As you define them, down the road.

Buy what moves you.