Old 04-15-12, 09:08 PM
eduardo76

Bikes: Scott Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat tire virgin can't find culprit!

Sorry for the newbie question, but my wonderful sunday ride was rudely interrupted by my first flat tire, and now i have a couple of questions for you guys:

a.after inspecting my rear flat tire, and not finding any glass and just a couple of marks on the outside of the tire, i continue to remove the tire and the punctured tube - i spent the next 5 minutes looking/feeling for the culprit on the inside and outside of the tire, and couldn't find anything - now i am freaking out, that i will get another flat soon since i couldn't remove a microscopic piece of glass from the tire - FYI, the old tube has a "silver circle" mark around the puncture - does this mean it was some sort of pinch flat?!

b. after inserting my new tube, i REALLY struggled clinching the last 4 inches of the tire back into the wheel - since the tire was wet, i even got blisters on my hand - here is my question: i was taught to "roll" the tire back into the wheel from the side - a good samaritan stopped by, and instead of rolling, he "pinched" the tire (best way that i can describe) and with 2 pinches, the tired snapped into the wheel with no struggle! is there something i am missing here? some secret technique? am i just a whimp?

any help is appreciated - i am also ready to tolerate any abuse due to my "newbie" questions!!! cheers!