Old 04-16-12, 06:54 PM
tergal

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msr13
Today I went for a short ride. Didn't think I would need to bring the water bottle. Figured I would just be out for 30-45 minutes. The 90 degree weather didn't feel that hot. (Our first really hot day.) I never felt thirsty and while I was sweating, I wasn't sweating a lot. The last mile of my ride, my hands and feet turned numb and I was breathing hard on a route I thought I could do in my sleep at this point. Called my doctor and he told me I was dehydrated and to drink. I had thought the numbness might be related to my seat, but he said my hands wouldn't have gone numb. Anyway, no big deal, but another of my newbie epiphanies. I had no idea numbness was symptomatic of dehydration. And, I never felt thirsty or too hot. I never connected the need to drink in that moment. I will never leave home again without water.

""Symptoms may include headaches similar to what is experienced during a hangover, a sudden episode of visual snow, decreased blood pressure (hypotension), and dizziness or fainting when standing up due to orthostatic hypotension. Untreated dehydration generally results in delirium, unconsciousness, swelling of the tongue and, in extreme cases, death."" Quick copy of wiki

Do any of those sound fun while riding ?

Dehydration is one of those things i am constantly drilling in to peoples heads be it in the work place or amongst family. I have been to the hospital 4 times in my life, 1 of those for dehydration it isn't fun .

Always keep in mind, By the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated. Always take a water bottle you got lucky mate.