View Single Post
Old 04-17-12, 05:14 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never sold all my bikes. There's always been at least one in the corner or in the garage begging to be taken for a ride and reminding me of how much I get back out of it.

I've been on and off the bike for years at a time over the last 30 years. I'm back on now and have lost 44 pounds since last Aug.

I enter 'events". And, then strong arm my cycling friends into doing the same. That makes us automatic training encouragement for each other. E-mails about mid week rides, setting up weekend rides etc.

Strava is pretty cool. Comparing my segments and rides to other riders in the area is giving me a real measure to use as a motivator in the absence of riding buddies during mid week rides. However, I'm still learning 'how' to use the tool. It's already modifying the 'way' I'm riding and not necessarily for the better with regard to training for specific events. I need to not focus on immediately improving my segment times, but, remain focused on the longer term training plan.

I introduced my wife to cycling. She has little/no interest in competing. But, she enjoys the heck out of riding and we enjoy my mid week recovery rides together and occassionaly meet up with other friends for weekend rides that comprise either a recovery for myself or we split into two groups. Frequently, I'll ride from the house, meet her 'out there', complete a less intense loop that delivers her back to the car and then destroy myself on the way back to the house.