View Single Post
Old 04-18-12, 05:35 PM
travelerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I've been cooking all of my life, so know a little about food and nutrition; I am also one of those people that everybody hates because I seem to metabolize just about everything I eat.

You seem to be headed in the right direction by counting calories, but just be aware that some calories are better than others, just as some fats and cholesterols are beneficial for an active person.

In general, cut way back on red meat, if you are eating a lot. Salmon (whole muscle, not that canned crap), lean skinless chicken breasts, almonds, spinach, broccoli, brown rice, and Greek yogurt are all wonderful sources of lean protein. Dark green lettuces such as Romaine and the aforementioned spinach with an olive-oil based vinagrette or other fat-free dressing are great roughage and filler.

The classic American portions are way out of whack; you should be eating more vegetables and fruits - the fresher, the better - than the protein/main dish.

Avoid processed anything; lunchmeats, canned vegetables, frozen dinners are all way too heavy on sodium and fat.

Your mileage indicates you are in pretty good shape, so you will still need to refuel, and your body is becoming more efficient at it as you progress.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. Oh, and congratulations on having quit smoking!

Last edited by travelerman; 04-19-12 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Too preachy