View Single Post
Old 04-23-12, 06:57 PM
edwardgibbs

Bikes: 1981 Trek 311 Single Speed Shogun 600 Touring Bike, 1950's Schwinn Corvette, 1971 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Finally got to the right poster.
Great picture. I too have a early 80's 520 that I love. Used it to pull my now grown kids around in a trailer. Now plan on using it as my tour bike. Mine still has the original DT shifters and 27" wheels but I've been thinking about changing to barends and 700 wheels. What barends do you have and how well is the shifting and are those 700 wheels?
Thanks for posting the pic.
Hi, glad you like the picture and sorry for the delayed response. Mine is a 620. Does your 520 have Cantilever brakes?
The bar ends shifters are old Suntour barcons and they shift fine. I was a little concerned about shifting when I switched to a 9 speed 12-36 cassette, but the shifters and the rear derailleur handle it with fine. That being said I am considering switching out the shifters for a pair of "Silvers" from Rivendell that I have.
The canti brakes are Shimano, from the same period as the frame (can't remember the model) and stop well and are super adjustable. They came from my old Shogun touring rig. There were no issues witching over to 700c wheels.