Old 04-25-12, 09:25 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"staephj1", if you prefer riding with your road bike and relish in challenging paved steep grades, fly into Anchorage and do the loop to Fairbanks and back using the Richardson and George Parks Highway if you only have a short time. If you have a little more time, fly into Fairbanks, ride down to Anchorage and then out to the Alaskan Hwy at Tok, and then down to Haines, take the ferry to Juneau for a flight home. If you have even more time, and would rather stay away from the challenging grades associated with the coastal mountains, ride down the Alaskan Highway from Fairbanks to Dawson Creek. (or further down through British Columbia as your time allows) You can terminate your adventure from several spots along the way, Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, Dawson Creek, Chetynd, Prince George, etc. I flew into Anchorage on my first trip, but used Greyhound for most of the others as it was cheapest (although the bus takes a lot longer) The most scenic and challenging would be the Anchorage-Fairbanks route, but riding the Alaskan Highway is a fantastic and scenic experience as well. You'll see a lot of wild animals of all sorts for sure. I was up close to wolves, grizzlies, black bears, sheep, goats, caribou, moose, buffalo, elk, deer, and even a wolverine. Which ever way you choose, you'll certainly enjoy the experience.