View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 10:32 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek makes their Madone series road bikes in three different geometries: H1 is the race-oriented geometry with the greatest seat-to-handlebars drop; H2 is the "average" geometry for road bikes; H3 is the more upright geometry which is supposed to compete with other "comfort" oriented bikes like the Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, etc.

I've been following Trek's efforts in this area, and my impression is that with each succeeding year they are offering the H3 geometry on fewer and fewer models.

Prior to offering the different geometries in the Madone series, Trek sold a model known as the Pilot which can be considered the predecessor to the H3 geometry bikes. Over the years there were a number of Pilot models which were designated with a number. The last Pilot model was 5.9. I know all this because last year when I was shopping for a bike with a more upright geometry I chanced upon a bike shop which had a brand new Trek Pilot 5.9 frame from the model year 2006 still in the box. I had them build it up for me and that is the bike I am currently riding. I like this bike very much and do not understand why Trek discontinued it. (The Trek Pilot series had a lot of fans who were very disappointed when Trek dropped it in 2007. Here is a very enthusiastic review of the bike from the same model year as I have, 2006: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...7_5668crx.aspx .)

Maybe you can look for a used Trek Pilot bike to buy. I don't know how often they go up for sale but you can keep your eyes open for them.