View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 03:39 PM
CollectingResin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nasty case of the squeaks and creaks

Let me just start by saying that I'm a total n00b in the bike game, so I'll probably make some errors in terminology. I'll do my best to describe my issue.

I have an old road bike that I've been riding for about 6 months now. It's started squeaking and creaking pretty loudly and annoyingly.

My bike-smart roommate said my headset was too tight, so we tried to loosen the headset but we couldn't even get it all the way off, but we took off the top two spacers or whatever you call them, and the creaking more or less stopped. Stupid thing is, I was riding around with a loose headset.

Then, I took my bike to this local bike mechanic's house, he said it was probably my bottom bracket, even though the noise seems to be coming from my stem/headset area. He put my headset back on all the way, but now the creaking sound is back and with a vengeance.

The squeaking sound gets worse as I pedal harder, usually going up hill, but it also happens when I put pressure on my handle bars. So, which do you think it is? Should I focus on trying to loosen my headset, or do I need to take out my bottom bracket and grease it?

I realize I sound like a novice, which I am, but thanks anyways for any advice!