Old 04-26-12, 10:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Does anyone really think that being lit up like the surface of the sun is going to prevent the person who just had the bad day at work who is talking on their cel phone not run you over ?

I think that these folks that are looking for brighter and brighter lighting are often missing the point that these people in cars who don't see you also don't see the other cars and pedestrians they run into regularly and your gigawatts of lighting which annoy the piss out of other road users do not provide a magical force field.

At minimum I run a 250 lumen front lamp which provides enough light for me to ride by, often pair that with a 10-15 watt halogen, have a Superflash in the rear and a good deal of reflective gear and have a blinky on my helmet in the rear.

I do not assume that drivers see me or that running brighter lights will get their attention when they are otherwise distracted short of running red flashers and running a siren and even then... I have seen drivers fail to notice emergency vehicles.