View Single Post
Old 04-27-12, 04:55 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My attitude regarding litter is kind of a Zen thing with me: if I noticed it and my experience was effected by it, so will the next person by if I just leave it where it is.

Now, I know I can't clean up all of the roadside litter and I wont even try anymore (it took living through the '70-'80s for me to accept though), but trailside litter is like a scratch in a really great album, it may not completely "ruin" the listening experience but it definitely alters the quality of the moment. For me, "pack it in, pack it out" just falls short of what I can do to take responsibility for the planet and my fellow man. I view it as doing a favor for someone else, and also doing one for others that they will encounter later on.

The fact that someone doesn't even know that his or her outdoor experience was slightly more "purely serene" because of someone else who came before him and helped to clean up the trail a bit, may have just a small effect on that person in that moment, but then that small effect will likely be reflected in his or her experience interacting with others at another time, and then that in turn will likely be reflected in others that they encounter at another time, and so on and so on.....

Some people are willing to give, and some people are willing to suck, and each of us gets to choose for ourselves.