View Single Post
Old 04-28-12, 07:26 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
For lower end bikes with DT shifting, I use the Bell kit from Walmart for $6. I'd probably get the Walmart kit in black.
Originally Posted by dddd
For cables, the WalMart pack supplies 4 cables for $5.
Originally Posted by zukahn1
for simply basic cable Wally world .
Originally Posted by zukahn1
A lot of Kmarts often stock the same Bell cable kits.
Last time i checked WalMart and Kmart cable kits did NOT come with lined housing. Lined housing is a must. The last time I checked cables from Dicks Sporting goods DID come with lined housing. When I flipping alot of bikes i'd buy kits from Kmart for the inner wires and cables from DSG for the housing. The DSG cables had eonough housing left over housing which I'd pair up with the WalMart inner wires.

Awhile back I began buying brake housing in bulk.....something like 100 foot rolls for $25 or so and I'd still use the WalMart inner wires. There is a huge difference in housing out there, cheap stuff in a roll compresses alot, I mean alot. Higher quality Jagwire and Shimano (if you can find it) are very low compression. It makes a difference.

For gear systems nothing but Jagwaire, Shimano or Campagnolo index specific housing. I dont care if the label says index compatible or not...if it's not Jagwire, Shimano, or Campagnolo it's going to shift like crap. OK, mabe there's some others but I think you get my point...cheap housings will index very poorly.