bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Your normal situation is ... normal.

Once every 30 minutes is not normal.

On your next ride, try focussing on eating salted almonds, potato chips, hot chips with salt (french fries), salty fast food, bananas and dried apricots, chicken noodle cup-a-soup, etc.

For quite some time now, we've been eating a bowl of those oriental noodles (really cheap, just add hot water) for breakfast before a big ride. They've got carbs and sodium which both give us a good start, especially on hot rides here. You might try them for breakfast ... and they would have also been a good choice as soon as you got in from the ride.
I have to fess Machka you do differ with the comment right above yours. It is one question I've wanted the answer to for ages...what is the norm on regularity of peeing, especially the RAAM boys and the guys doing the 1200K.

One thing I stumbled into at the store recently...looking around for foods with higher sodium or potassium content. Forget everything you mentioned above and go for raisin bran. Eat it dry...the heck with it. I haven't found anything that has as high of content of sodium and potassium as raisin bran and it is also high in calories with most of it appearing to be carbs. A regular sized box of RB having 2300 calories(10 servings). Each serving has around 300 mg of both sodium and potassium. I plan to try it out the next time I head out for a long ride. I have to admit I did lose 10 pounds on the 144 milers I did back on Thursday but I felt fine on Friday. Thursday wasn't borderline 90 degrees like it was last Monday when I had the dizzyness/shaking problems come Tuesday. Rather I saw only as high as 61 degrees instead on Thursday. I kepts wandering why it seemed like my average speed was slow. I knew the air density was higher but I didn't realize just how much of an uphill(literally) battle I was also fighting. The route had a lot more climbing than what I figured it had. 205.7miles @ 12453' climbing vs 144.1 miles @ 9591' climbing. Instead of the climbing coming spread out over the distance it was coming bunched up together as well.