Old 04-28-12, 10:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Just got my TiGr lock, and what a cool bike lock it is!

I was going to make a defense here of how I could possibly make the claim that a bicycle lock could be cool, but then I realized that if you even bothered to click on the thread, doing so probably wouldn't be necessary, so I'll just jump straight into a description of what it is.

This is the TiGr lock, a titanium bow with a stainless cylinder lock that secures it closed. It will slide through the frame, both wheels, and around a post or bike rack, and it stows conveniently on the top tube for carrying.

I think the design itself is pretty cool, but combined with the tidy portage and light weight--it's gotta weigh a quarter of my old Kryptonite U-lock) make it irresistibly cool to me. Hell, it's TITANIUM!

The small points of criticism include the lack of accommodation for carrying the locking cylinder, which I just through in my seat bag, and the slight signs of scuffing on the inside of the vinyl (or whatever) wrap that encases the bow and prevents scratching of the frame paint. It looks like they may be machine marks from the application process. In any case, no big deal to be sure as they're barely visible.

It's been a joy to use as well, although on longer wheelbase bikes, the full wheel-frame-wheel lock-up may be an issue; I haven't used it yet except on my road bike and the utility bike in the pics, but based on those experiences, I'm thinking it may take some futzing to get my MTB and my short-wheelbase-but-fat-tire (2.35) play bike into the full lock. We'll see. Fortunately, I'm never in a high security lock situation, so I'm not really worried about it though, and will trade off, say, an unsecured front wheel for the easy portability. If you need to lockup a bike really securely though, you might want to take a look at the wheelbase and tire width numbers.

This is one of the early production units coming off their successful Kickstarter funding drive, and so I'm guessing the project will continue to develop and evolve. For example, I did talk to the producer, and he told me they were exploring mount options for the cylinder.

As it is now, though, this is definitely the most handy and coolest lock I've had or seen, and will be a real boon on the upcoming summer fun rides, where previously I've gone without any bike security.

Some pics: