Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Koobazaur
Sorry I am not 100% familiar with the terminology - I meant I got those clips that extend forward in front of the pedal and wrap up around your toes: But mine also have a strap that goes over my foot from side to side of the pedal (power grips?)
You have traditional toe clips. I don't think toe clips are supposed to "effectively double your power" ... clipless pedals don't either, but toe clips definitely won't. About the only thing toe clips will do is help keep your foot in the right position, and help keep your foot in place when you do things like standing ... but only if you've got the correct size and have them set up correctly for you. And they'll only be comfortable if you're wearing the right type of shoes (solid toes, flat solid soles).

Also, something to keep in mind, toe clips can actually be more dangerous than clipless pedals if you cinch the straps down.

ALSO when I say "push rest push rest" I did NOT mean I stop pedalling. I just meant how one naturally gets like a split second of "rest" in a full cycle - when you push the foot down you are exerting force, but as the pedal comes up you are not pushing it anymore. With the clips, I am now pulling it up, so I am constantly exerting force, which is more tiring I am finding.
Try riding as though you are scraping the mud off the bottom of your shoes, rather than push, push, push.

and as for distance, I dont measure it, but I usually bike 30-60 minutes and my area has lots of occasional inclines/hills, it's not very flat.
OK, those are your short evening rides ... what about your longer rides on the weekends? If you're tiring after 60 minutes, it sounds like you need to start building up your endurance and strength.

Hmmm, I never actually measured where my foot lies on the pedal, I just went with what felt natural and resulted in the most efficient force on the pedal; I just assumed it's middle-ish but now I am no longer sure, it might be more of the ball - I never actually thought about it (again, it just felt natural!) Could it be the 'wrong' position? Maybe. But if I enjoy it and it has not caused me any pain or discomfort in the years I've been biking (I always biked the same), does it honestly matter?
Where your foot is placed is quite important. Your body on the bicycle is a machine ... a collection of levers. Get it right and you've got something very efficient. Get it wrong, and all you'll struggle with ineffieciency and breakdowns. Study engineering.

When your foot is on the pedal now, with the toe clips, where is the spindle located? Now flip the pedal over and place your foot on the pedal where you used to have your foot. Where is the spindle located? You might need to put your bicycle up on a trainer to do this, or have a friend look, or use mirrors.

I rode with toe clips for years when I was in my teens and early twenties (80s and early 90s). I hated the straps that held my feet in, so they were removed fairly early on. Without the straps they weren't too bad, but when a friend gave me a set of clipless pedals, and I switched, I liked them so much better.

Then I got more into touring and long distance cycling, and back in 2007, I switched to these ... they allow me to clip in when I want, and ride the platforms when I want. Best of both worlds.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...60_-1___202363

There are several different styles here:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Categor...y=&searchTerm=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SH-PDM324-NCL-ANGLE.jpg (14.5 KB, 29 views)