Old 04-29-12, 04:57 PM
753proguy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dddd
I've used modified Suntour tools on these, since such a small freewheel on a bike with a 42t small ring usually isn't very tight.

I am often surprised that my tools don't do damage or slip, but they usually don't.

I have a few tweaked (modified) removers by now, but still need one for a Campag 2-prong alloy FW.
There are a lot of different freewheels, gad!

Sometimes I'll "dress" the freewheel and tool prongs with a Dremel to improve the grab if the freewheel is very tight or the tool fits poorly.
Again, the smaller freewheels usually require much less force to remove.

I always sucure the tool TIGHTLY before torqueing, but must loosen promptly to continue turning as the freewheel backs off.
A longer wrench, like 18" or more, puts less sideways force on the tool for a given torque, which helps it stay centered, and a vice is even better.
I find the job is easier with an inflated tire mounted, for grip against the ground or for hand-gripping.
Please do not use anything other than the couple of correctly designed helical remover tools that properly fit those Campagnolo freewheels. Bike Tools Etc. sells one, iirc, plus the Campagnolo brand one. ANY incorrect tool will ruin the (now very valuable) freewheel! Used Campagnolo freewheels in good (useable) condition are now selling for around $200 on eBarf....