Old 04-29-12, 07:16 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Advice please on this 1984 Miyata One Thousand

Hello,

This is a really lovely bike but is about 10cm too small for me. I know this is a desirable classic tourer.

It seems to be just about all original (according to the catalog available online) -- including Miyata branded tires and saddle. The crankset is a Shimano triple instead of a Sugino; the brakes/levers are also Shimano 600 instead of Dia-Compe. The catalog says they came in 50 & 54cm, but I measure 52cm center to center (EDIT: looks like it's a 54).

There is some paint loss, especially on the drive side stays and under the downtube, but next to no corrosion showing. Otherwise the paint is glossy and the decals are about 95% good. Some scuffs on the rear der. and pedals, but overall looks like it got light use. The tires look lightly worn. Hubs, BB, and HS are smooth but I have not opened them up.

I'm curious about a value estimate, and I'm also wondering whether you think it makes sense to try to sell it locally, or if you would just go ahead and sell it online.

Also, I'm thinking that someone who buys a bike like this will very much know what they want on the bike -- and because of this I am thinking maybe I shouldn't bother replacing cables/housing/tires/tubes/etc. like I would for a lower-end bike that a recreational rider would buy. Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by inkandsilver; 04-30-12 at 01:21 PM. Reason: sizing info