Old 04-29-12, 09:00 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
John has conveniently chosen to ignore my comments about sending 10-13 year old children onto highspeed multilane streets with moderate to high traffic to make vehicular left turns....

Do any of the rest of you think that is a good idea?

See post 31, above. Do any of you believe that a child of that age has the proper judgement to figure out when and where to start a turn on a high speed road and to judge if the motorists are slowing down for them?

And if children have such judgement, why don't we issue them drivers licenses?
Genec lies about my statements. I stated that 10 year old trained cyclists were good for multi-lane roads with medium-speed commercial traffic. I also stated that 13 year old trained cyclists were good for multi-lane roads in general.

When Genec asserted skepticism about the ability of 13 year old cyclists to negotiate lane changes, I asked him whether he thought that the cyclist was unable to see that a motorist had slowed for him, or whether he thought that motorists would not respond to properly-behaved cyclists just because they were young. Genec has not answered my questions.

Now Genec tries to put the issue in different terms. He asks the group if any of you believe that a child of that age has the ability to "judge if motorists are slowing down for them?" That's a loaded false question. The issue is not whether a motorist is in the process of slowing down. The issue is whether the motorist has already slowed down to make room for the cyclist, which is an entirely different issue.