Old 04-29-12, 09:37 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4-HOUR BODY diet for quick weight loss? Advice sought...

The "Slow Carb" diet by Tim Ferris in 4 Hour Body is:
  • 3-4 meals a day
  • every meal has lean protein, green vegetables, and beans (!)
  • 7th day of every week is go off the diet - he says to go crazy!

I've been on it 3 weeks -
  • I lost 5# on week 1 and another 5# over the next 2 weeks
  • I only eat 3 meals - I think I've had a 4th meal once
  • I put on 1-2 pounds on the "off day" (just like he claimed)
  • I had to change my "off day" to Friday so I would have more energy for a Saturday racing clinic I've been taking
  • I found the "off day" quite interesting.
    • After week 1 (pizza, ice cream, etc.),
    • I found it pretty easy to skip bread (despite my history of love with raisin bagels and sandwiches), I craved (and ate) fruit and a bunch of Fig Newtons. My baked potato didn't seem particularly good.
  • I have bonked once but most of my rides have been OK, including two 60-mile rides. I start to run out of gas after 35 miles but it isn't much of a problem (given that I need to lose a lot of weight). The bonk occurred around mile 35 on a 40-mile ride (I debated calling my wife for a rescue only 3 miles from my house).

The "normal result" is 5#/week. I had planned on trying to stick with it for 2 months and then try to convert to better eating. I can see how this will probably lead me into wanting healthier food but I still will face my huge problem with portion control (it's mental - I eat even when I feel stuffed). I've followed the diet religiously with 3 probable (?) exceptions:
  • I have 10-20 almonds 2-3 times a day
  • I sometimes eat quite large quantities (big portions) - although it's not too excessive
    • A typical meal is 8-9 ounces of beef with 1/3 can of beans and a healthy portion of spinach.
    • My breakfast is a 2 egg spinach omelet (no cheese) with a side of beans.
    • I often add some onions and peppers to whatever, including the omelet (sauted in a small amount of olive oil).
  • Sometimes I calm my stomach (or maybe it's my mind) with some extra protein between meals

Questions:
  1. I think the almonds must be bad - too much oil? I am trying to mostly eliminate them (this week) but it's too early to see the results.
  2. Any comments or suggestions?

Notes:
  • I am 66, 226 (I've been at 238 for a while, I started at 247), I ride about 7K a year, and hills KILL me! I do a lot of group rides (I even lead some) so I know 100% how hills affect me compared to other riders (including old riders).
  • I push myself - I've ridden several centuries, I do intervals occasionally, I alternate hard and easy days, and I get my heart rate up above my LTH on at least half my rides. I've been riding for 22 months.
  • I weighed around 175 at 40 when I was running (including occasional marathons, all under 3 hours).
  • Tim Ferris seems pretty flaky to me! I WILL NOT defend him or his methodology! But the diet seemed like it might work (a diet can only work if it's appealing enough that I can follow it) and the "off day" seemed like a worth-while reward (although I am surprised that I don't want to splurge by eating a cheesecake!).