Old 04-30-12, 10:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
4 12, huh? Well, that's what I get for sounding like a know it all. I don't know what that date means. I'd guess December 1944, but I don't know if they were making hubs through the war. Let's hope someone else does.

Okay, so you've removed the axle nut, washers, locknut and cone from the left side of the hub, right? And now you want to unscrew the right side cup. I have done this with a hammer and chisel. I used an old carpenter's chisel. It doesn't do the chisel any good, and if you slip you can hurt yourself pretty bad, but the chisel being a little softer than the cup you won't hurt the hub. It's easier to do before you cut the spokes, but never mind that. You can hold the hub in a vise in various ways, such as by cutting wooden jaws of the right shape; but I haven't had to do that. I found the weight of the hub was enough; holding the hub between my knees, put the chisel in one of the notches on the hub and knock it with the hammer. Very easy to put the chisel through your knee when you do this, so wear protection (heavy jeans at the very least, a leather apron would be better) and be careful. In my experience the cup isn't usually too tight and comes loose after a few good taps of the hammer.