View Single Post
Old 04-30-12, 07:16 PM
redvespablur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
As someone who has been considering a Cross-Check, what where your issues with it? The 4130 tubing? Geometry? Fit?
It was beautiful looking frame (british racing green) with a really good build by my LBS (Mirage 9 speed with Ambrosio wheels etc) fit well, and I did really want to like it. I wanted an all rounder and while it was not great at anything it could dabble acceptably at most things - the bikes have great resale value so if you fall out of love its easy to get lots of your money back. I sold it within 18 months after not riding it when the retro-modernized Allez arrived in the stable

But, it was heavy, slow and despite being steel not springy nor comfortable. Perhaps the gauge of the tubing of the 4130 makes it rigid but it is least comfortable steel bike I have owned ( 84 Allez, and Modern Marinoni with Columbus Zona tubing, and Soma are all way lighter and much more comfortable). I just wanted to go faster and while it cruised well it was slow to spin up and a bit chunky handling wise. The Soma, Allez and Sportivo have all been better choices for me - YMMV.

Good Luck

Last edited by redvespablur; 04-30-12 at 10:50 PM.