Old 04-30-12, 07:35 PM
silvercreek
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
FWIW, my early April, '71 P13-9 certainly appears to have been designed for 700c wheels, and it doesn't have brazed on cable guides on the top tube. I have the provenance report on this bike, and Richard Schwinn says that he found notes stating it was ordered with heavy duty spokes and a wide range freewheel, the only non-standard items in the notes. The geometry measurements were standard for the 21" P13-9 frame.

I agree with Fender1, it seems the fundamental issue when talking about 700c vs. 27" during that era in the USA would be: tubulars vs clinchers. On my Paramount, someone rebuilt the wheels at some point, lacing 700c Mavic Module E clinchers to the Campy NR hubs. This is exactly what I would have done, so I'm pleased that it was already done when I purchased the bike.

Here are the 700c wheels and the Campy NR brakes:
As Kurt wrote about in his article about the changes made on the different years of the Paramount, there is a few notable differences between a '71 and a '78 P13 along with geometry. The brake pad location in relationship to the rim-side on your bike looks great. With the brake pads adjusted all of the way down on mine, the top edge of the pad are amost touching the tire. I think I may have calipers for a bike with 27" wheels.

As far as I know the P13 didn't get brazed on cable guides. If you have the chrome Campy cable clamps then yours is like my '78 P13.

Last edited by silvercreek; 04-30-12 at 07:42 PM.