View Single Post
Old 04-30-12, 09:01 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
We're using a Blackspire 28 tooth inner chainring. ...[for] middle or large rings ... I prefer to stick with Shimano to get the best shifting on those rings. Shimano doesn't make inner rings smaller than 30 teeth, and Blackspire is the best brand I've found for alternative inner rings.
So, you are mixing and matching triple chainrings. Does this work for all variations of triple chainrings? If I have a middle chainring that is ramped and pinned so to be a middle in a triple, does it matter whether this is matched to the inner chainring? To the outer? Adam at Prasix stated that when they get a matched tandem chainring set the shifting would be magnificent. He thought maybe the double outer chainring he sent might work. I've found that this double outer chainring works better than both the triple TA and Dura Ace outer rings.

I still don't know if it matters none, sometimes, little or considerably whether the outer chainring on a triple is double- or triple-specific, or designed to work with the particular middle chainring.