View Single Post
Old 05-01-12, 06:47 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was heading West, across 14th Street. And, I've seen so many cars racing to catch the light or, simply blowing through it without regard for whomever may be in the cross walk that I'm usually extremely careful. I thought I had allowed myself to become distracted, running out of time on the light, however, that may not have been the case. Even if I cut it closer than usual, the light still affords crossers a short "grace period" before the traffic is given the green light and I believe I still had 5 or 7 seconds left. In addition, my co-workers (who witnessed the whole scene) said that they thought one of the cars actually sped up as it approached the intersection. Either way, I'm just glad that nothing happened. I wasn't afraid to ride in today but, took a much safer route sticking to sidewalks once in D.C. It's slower but, feels much safer. That's not really a great option, though, in the afternoon as so many toursists take over. I was also extra vigilant at this intersection this morning.