View Single Post
Old 05-02-12, 10:14 AM
jdave5917

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Yes those are the original fenders, old chrome is wonderful and so is aluminum foil with glass cleaner. The bearings only required repacking, the front wheel atm is a replacement while I hunt down a new rim for the original other then lacking the raised center ridge, it's actually very fitting on the bike. It's also hard to tell in the new pics, but there is still some minor rust I'd guess I'm about 85% done with the cleanup, I've only cleaned the paint I haven't done anything to preserve it yet as well.. and I had to steal a SA Pulley from one of my raleigh frames and then dig up a very weird screw to mount it, oh and I had to change the SA hub spindle indicator to one with an actual cable clamp instead of barrel adjuster.

Oh and does anyone have any suggestions for restoring the saddle? That one is virgin territory for me.

Rides quite comfortably despite my grandfather having been 5 inches shorter then myself, I'm almost loathe to raise the seat...
So how exactly do you use the aluminum foil and glass cleaner? I assume you're talking about cleanup of the bright items and I typically use WD-4- and 0000 steel wool for that. What are the advantages to your method?