Old 05-02-12, 10:15 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Went out around the neighborhood again last night. Starting and stopping is scary for her right now. She was complaining that I was pushing too hard a gear at too high a cadence for her (going about 10mph, which I had thought was a fair midpoint between our normal single bike speeds). I felt she wanted to pedal so lightly at so low a gear that the bike was coasting faster then the pedals and I was losing stability. (7-8 mph with two fatties on board) However, the rules are "the stoker is always right" and "don't scare the stoker". One thing we found was the pedals were getting away from her and she couldn't keep her feet on them. Not an issue on a single with only one person pedaling. She also had trouble giving us that initial push-off when we moved away from a stop. We decided it is time to give her the option of using SPD's as needed, so I stole the dual sided SPD/Platform pedals off my mountain bike. A learning experience for sure.