Old 05-02-12, 10:35 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
What year Poprad do you have? If you have the last year in White OX platinum then I have an off topic question for you.

BB5's will stop you just as well as BB7's. If you like to ride your cross bike on the road then the lower BB is better IMO. Higher is better for racing cross but over all it really comes down to which one you think rides better. So if you can test ride then do it.
What's your Poprad Q? I've got an old one. It's about a 2000, I'm not really sure because I bought it used from my club/team president. I has the 853 tubeset, but a 1" steerer. Honestly, it's a pretty good bike. No doubt it's heavier than the new stuff, but in terms of being a work-horse, it's hard to beat.

The stopping power of the BB5's vs. the BB7's really isn't the issue for me. It's the fact that the 5's only move one pad and flexes the rotor. It seems like that would be both a PITA to get set up correctly and easy to get out of adjustment. Besides that, it just seems wrong.

My cross bike spends very little time on the road...basically whatever riding I have to do to get to the dirt/sand/grass. I've got road bikes for road riding. I know that neither shop will have a bike for me to test ride, so I basically have to make my decision based on homework (and finances). At the end of the day, I look at guys like Wells and Trebon. They seem to be able to cope with either. The differences between the 2 is probably less important than I'm making it out to be. I think they will both be a good step forward from the Pop...although, to be honest, that's not a bad bike, either. I could use more braking power and it gets pretty damned heavy late in a race, but it responds well to pretty much anything I can through at it.