Old 05-02-12, 12:01 PM
hartphoto 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I think what was going on was that my "super light pedaling" was her "hard effort". She can't hold a very high cadence either. I do think the cadence picks up with time. I don't have a cadence sensor, but I'm pretty sure my rpm has picked up a fair amount as I've gained strength and fitness. I'm hoping the SPD's help with some of that problem of the pedals running away from her feet. If we can eventually do a touring pace of 10mph comfortably, I'm ok with that. (I normally average 13-13.5 over a ride, and cruise at 14-16)
Been following this thread, as we're somewhat new to tandems ourselves (purchased in January). Just re-read the whole thread.

Two things come to mind....no focusing on any pace until the stoker is comfortable, and try toe clips first, instead of locking the the stoker's feet to the pedals with SPDs. Purchased some of those yesterday for our two tandems.

I've got it double bad ....an 8 or 9 year old on a Trek T900 (depending on which child is stoking), and then my wife on a second tandem (a Phat Limo) following us with the other little one. Not only am I training the stoker, I'm having to go at the speed of the other tandem so they know where we're going, and providing info to my stoker AND the captain of the second tandem.

We went to White Rock lake over this past weekend. Average over 16 miles was 8mph (and I told NO ONE . But....that's OK, as we were having fun. Now....when the competitive kid gets some more seat time...she's itching for some long distances and always begging to go faster. Can't wait for that!...BUT....I gotta!