View Single Post
Old 05-02-12, 01:29 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have been building a collection of photos of my bike - the CCM Torino 76 - for some time and I guess this wouod be the best place to share them. The bike is a 1976 CCM Torino, made in (I think) Weston Ontario from 531 steel. They don't seem to have any interest in the Torino 76 over in the classic & vintage forum, even though I have replaced every moving part (except the headset and brakes) with something modern and modified the frame I Thought they would be excited that I got rid of useless things like 'freewheels' and 'friction shifters.'
This is the way I had it set up this past winter. I had removed the studded tire from the front before this picture was taken, but everything else is the same. I even left the rust on the chain. Not a great picture, but you can kinda see the internal cable guides I brazed in place when I had to put a patch over a rusty crack in a seatstay.

Then I refitted it with a Ritchey drop bar I had laying around. I have not yet ordered my Jtek shifter for the Alfine IGH so the SHimano rapidfire shifter is mounted on a cut-down rusty bar end attached to the quill of the stem adapter. I also replaced the steel staight seatpost with an alloy one with a built-in clamp.

The latest incarnation is with a Salsa Woodchipper off-road drop bar. THis picture was taken before I had the bars and brake levers in their final position. I rode the bike for about 30kms like this, but it wasn't quite right. I tried using the rule-of-thumb for putting brake levers on drop bars: the tip of the lever in line with the bottom of the flats. Not bad, but insufficient room for using the hoods, and the drops are so shallow they don't feel anything like drops. I have since adjusted them and they feel better.

Does this count as a hybrid?