Old 07-29-05, 02:38 PM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by askrom
I have an 1988 Olmo road bike with Modolo (Campy knock-off) brakes & levers that really suck and non-indexed shifters that I'm okay with keeping. Modern brakes seem so much better these days, so I want to replace the Modolos. I'm looking at Shimano Ultegra or 105.

My problem is that new brakes are so much different from my old ones, and I'm not sure how to make sure they'll work with the rest of my configuration. Let me count the ways:

1) Will "dual pivot" caliper brakes work on an older frame? It's a short-reach racing frame with Columbus tubes and fork, and the brakes use recessed hex bolts. Pretty standard, I think.

2) Will I need to buy new levers? I've heard that the distance the cable travels in old levers won't work with newer dual pivot brakes. (Would buying normal single-pivot caliper brakes mean that I don't need new levers? Are there any good single-pivot brakes these days?)

3) If I need new levers, can I get new levers for new brakes that don't have indexed shifting built in? I don't want to replace my whole derailleur/shifters just yet. Alternately, can I install brakes with shifters but leave the shifting feature uninstalled?

4) I currently have old-style cables, not under-the-tape aero cables. If I have to buy new levers, is there anything that I need to do with my old handlebars (besides replacing the tape, of course)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What a great message board, I think I'll be spending a lot of time here!!
DPs will work, but my all time favorite are shimano single pivot 105 or 600 you might score on ebay for next to nothing. The levers you have work with either. Certainly you don't have to spring for sti levers. Ebay is full of aero 105 and 600 levers and you can get newer stuff thru LBS. Your bars dont have the recessed groves that newer ones do for aero cable routing, but it's no issue,Just tape over the cables.