Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The belt hole method always works.
Not satisfactory for quantifying how much you have stimulated the local economy by extra food purchase at the supermarket... or possibly losing weight of course.

Originally Posted by Hermes
Power meters do not provide Calorie data. However, it turns out that when all the calculation are complete, that 1 Kj of energy produced correlates to 1 Calorie burned. The variable is the body energy conversion efficiency. Here is a writeup that looks correct to me. http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_...xpenditure.htm
I sort of figured that from reading one of BikeWNC's posts above. I do record calorie estimates for my rides but have never really paid that much attention to it... except as indicated above in my response to Blues Dawg. The imprecise nature of these estimates has been evident to me for a long time. I'll check out the link you sent... thanks for posting.

Have used the powertap wheels outside twice and noticed that the power graphs are far choppier than when recorded on a trainer. I infer that it's harder to keep a smooth pedal stroke with varying conditions outdoors. Knowledgeable locals tell me not to change the sampling rate and to smooth, if I want, after I offload the data.

This month is going to be fun... gonna put lots of miles, outdoors, on the powertap wheelset. There will be interesting data, no doubt.

Last edited by billydonn; 05-03-12 at 12:42 PM.