Old 05-04-12, 12:17 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
In Feb of 2011, we took a family vacation from New Jersey to Vermont. Ok, you would expect it to be just a bit different, and it was and more.
I packed up the Jeep GC, ski's, snow boards, boot, coats, food, etc, etc. It was the middle of the 'winter thaw' when we left. The temp on the built in thermometer was 45F. As we drove north, the temp slowly dropped, some where in NY we passed freezing. A few minutes after we passed into Vermont, it started to snow. COOL, we are going on our first ski vacation in Vermont and it's snowing! Well 1/2 hour later, the temp was in the mid 20's, and all I could see out of the windshield was WHITE! The fresh, blowing snow covered the road and every thing else. I could barley tell where the edge of the road was. It kept snowing, and getting colder as we went north. It became a full blown blizzard by rush hour. (as a cycling side note, I saw a guy riding a bike, up hill, during this blizzard. A better man than I.) It was in the teens, and dropping fast when we got to Burlington. Every few minutes, the snow got deeper, and the tempature reading would drop a degree. By the time we got to Smugglers Notch, it was +4F, with 12 inches of fresh powder. The good news was that all of the locals where saying that they haven't had a season as good in years. At the end of the week, they where saying that it was one of the best weeks EVER.