Old 05-04-12, 02:00 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
As the OP of this thread, I must ask a question about some of these locks. Many of the rides I am on are all out, meaning we are not racing, but we are pushing very hard. We try to eliminate any weight possible. Heavy locks will not work.
I go hard too, I train for racing. The Kryponite D-lock I carry in my jersey pocket (if I am likely to stop and step away from the bike) weighs a fraction under two pounds. That's about the weight of water I will carry on such a ride. If my body fat was under ten percent I might seriously notice the extra two pounds, but it isn't, and I don't. And even if that two pounds slows me down fractionally on the climbs, what of it? I'm training, not racing, and the effectiveness of my training is determined not by how fast I go, but by how hard I work.

It isn't rocket science. If you want to minimise the risk of your bike being stolen you either don't let it out of your reach, or you lock it. If carrying a lock is too much trouble, don't leave the bike anywhere. That's it.