Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You may remember this...

Nov 11, 2011
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Tonight, I sent this off to several agencies, the media, and lawyers

I've been bike commuting from PSU to Goose Hollow everyday lately, and I've observed something that makes me fear for my life on SW Jefferson St.

Between SW 14th And SW 16th Ave the bike lane has a serious "washboard" texture to the outer 1/3(ish) portion (this extends into the traffic lane as well). To avoid this uncomfortable ride, cyclists are forced to ride in the lane, or DANGER CLOSE to parked cars in front of KGW's studio at 1442 SW Jefferson St.

In these photos, you can see faint shadows created by the raised and recessed areas of the washboard.

My fear is that someday, if this isn't addressed, a cyclist will be bombing down that hill on their way to the Goose Hollow MAX stop, when someone unexpectedly exits their parked car. The cyclist then swerves to avoid the crash, or hits the door (and/or motorist), and ends up lying in the traffic lane with a car parked on top of them.

Can something be done to improve conditions here?
Now check this out...

May 4, 2012
Just after sending out my complaint about the washboarding on SW Jefferson St., I met another cyclist, and he showed me the way to get to the MUP that connects SW Montgomery St. to SW 18th Ave. Since then I've been taking that instead of riding down SW Jefferson to avoid the traffic, and the bumps. Nobody got back to me (via phone or email), I got busy with school, and the matter slipped my mind.

Tonight at Bikeasaurus's First Friday Art exhibit of Tomas Quinones work, I bumped into Patrick Kelly (of BikeLustComics.com) again, and he reminded me a conversation we had about the washboard. Then he told me that it's been ground down. News to me...

So, I went there to confirm, and sure enough it's been addressed.

You have to look carefully to see the grind marks, but the bumps are gone!

Thanks PBOT!!!

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-05-12 at 09:06 AM.