Old 05-05-12, 11:53 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I have been away from cycling for the last 18 months but I ready to get back to riding. I currently have two bikes. A '97 Bianchi Advantage hybrid (chro moly frame, 7 speed AceraX/Alivio, gripshift) and a mid 80s Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Touring bike (Suntour group components, downtube friction shifters, 6 speed freewheel, triple on front.) Both bikes are set up with SPD pedals. Both bikes are in decent, rideable shape. The Bianchi was tuned up a few years ago and the Schwinn completely tuned up and overhauled by a LBS 4 years ago. So aside from some minor adjustments, both bikes are pretty much in rideable condition.

So, I realize that I have some work to do to get back into riding shape. What that means to me is, weekend rides of 30 to 40 miles, and weeknight rides of 15 or so miles. Riding is almost exclusively road or paved trails, though I have occasionally done dirt or crushed limestone trails. 4 or 5 years ago, that is what I did with the Bianchi, though I found that even when I was in good riding shape, 30 or 40 miles was about the limit for the Bianchi, which is why I bought the Schwinn.

Thing is, I think I am done with the C & V thing, and especially the whole downtube shifting. Also, even 18 months ago, I had trouble riding the Schwinn in the drops. I thought about trying to modernize the Schwinn, but my other thought is to sell it as is and put the money towards something like a Salsa Casseroll, perhaps fitted with wood chipper bars or some sort of modified drop bar that I could actually use.

So, modify the Schwinn, buy something new like the Salsa, or maybe a Kona Jake, or just ride the hell out of the Bianchi?
I have been in a simular situation as you. But it was after I got back into cycling for about 4 years. I started looking for a more classic backup bike for a N+1. The search was a bit harder than I thought it would be because I had several spare wheels I could use that were set up for 8-9-10 speed hubs. That meant I needed a rear axle setting of 130 rather than the classic 126. So whatever you decide on just remember it is easier to upgrade a more modern frame. I won't get into trying to cold set a old steel frame. If it were me I would keep the Bianchi and replace the Le Tour with something newer or with newer equipment. Just my opinion, and I ended up going with Klein with 130 rear drop outs.