Old 05-07-12, 10:29 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
VanceMac: Welcome
Thanks Hermes. After reading through this thread/sub-forum, this seems to have the best signal-to-noise ratio on BF. At least for my curmudgeon sensibilties.

Roger loves those 20 to 60 second z4 bridging power efforts. And many of the racers at VSP can really pop off some amazing efforts so the pace is fast and you get the incentive to hold the wheel in front which I think is easier mentally than generating the effort solo.
Love this aspect. I do a lot of hard rides, road and mountain, but nothing beats the leg burn and warm endorphin glow after a Roger's Session.

I think that track workouts are a lot harder on a per pedal revolution metric basis than the road. I did a couple of sprint tournaments and was very sore and fatigued the next day. My hypo is that there has to be a track multiplier for the TSS score and that the formulation that calculates TSS does not accurately reflect how hard the workout was.
Quite agree. I think it is a combination of several subtle factors, which results in yet another track win: very efficient workout.

You are not alone in putting on the wrong gears. According to a woman VSP racer who trained with Sarah Hammer. Sarah used to race in an 88. She accidentally used a 14 on the rear versus a 15 that put her in a 94.5. She did much better racing in the bigger gear and now races in a 96.
On a related note, when I first started doing Roger's, I was a bit perplexed why everyone was changing cogs between the intervals and motor game. I naively thought "is that really necessary?" Didn't take long to realize what everyone here already knows. For me, (49x) 15t is perfect for the intervals, but spin out with 10 to go in motor game. The 14t is perfect for the motor game, but too sluggish for the intervals. Thank goodness for double-sided hubs.