View Single Post
Old 05-07-12, 05:38 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by snafu21
handlebar as a maintenance item and recommend that it be replaced at least every two years.

They flex and twist, and so are a fatigue item. Adding bar ends adds leverage, and thus more evil, flexy twisty-badness.

7000 series alloys are only good for elongation or stretch of between 3 to 9% before they fail. Depending on the alloy. The aircraft I fly has a 7075 alloy spaceframe. Just taping my GPS on it has the maint-crew screaming hysterically.

Bar ends are thus the Work of Satan, especially on aircraft, Mezzos, and other fine pieces of engineering. They'd be OK on a Brompton. Strike that from the records.

Seatposts, in my slender MTB experience, tend to break before handlebars because they have more load, and more torsion. They are often made of 6061-T6 alloy or similar, which is good for about 25-30% stretch before fracture. Many road bars are made from 6000 series alloys because of this. A lot of bikes though, still use 7050, or similar, especially in alloy stems.

Good information - but i will ride them for years with no issue I'm sure. Funny that you say bar ends are the work of satan. That is how I have always described peas.

Originally Posted by bhkyte
A D9 converted to 27 speed dual drive via road racing tiagra levers. See the "upgrading a mezzo/ori" thread or the "dual drive on a mezzo" theards
I also have a more standard d9 with a sash 3x7 dual drive.
Great - thanks!