View Single Post
Old 05-10-12, 02:27 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I used to do summer rides across the Everglades in South Florida, from Miami to South Bay (by lake Okeechobee), the round trip was 100 miles. The ride has it's good points, the main one being that there are no hills or mountains. The bad points are that there are no shops, stores, or even trees for shade along nearly the entire distance.

I did this ride on a particularly hot day,and it was hell. The sun was baking hot, and I felt close to heat exhaustion on the return trip. The only thing which was keeping me somewhat cool was the movement of my bike through the air. My shorts had turned from black to white because of the salt from my sweat. I found a couple of trees to rest under, but had to leave quickly because of clouds of Mosquitos.

After a couple hours of this hell, clouds began to appear. Each time I passed under their shadows, I felt a bit of refreshment. But after a short time the clouds exploded into a violent thunderstorm. The rain fell so hard that the highway was 6 inches awash with water. The water washed the dried sweat from my helmet and hair into my eyes, which was stingingly painful. The lightning flashed all around me, which was frightening because I was the tallest object around.

One of the few of my rides which I could honestly say was bad.