View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 11:39 AM
ChowChow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karenkaren07
Chow Chow, sorry for the newb question, but why is this bike less likely to handle rides of 15 miles+? Is it because the components are likely to fail, or because the build of the bike will make longer rides more uncomfortable?

Joel, thanks for the information on how the CS1 might be upgraded..I'll check with the bike shop on prices. With a 7-speed cassette, did you have any trouble getting up hills? I live in Seattle so might need to bike up hills now and then..

Otter, thanks for the Shimano hierarchy! I was wondering how to compare components.

BTW, I also tried the Trek 7.2 fx, but found the fit uncomfortable (too much pressure on wrists/arms). I didn't make any adjustments...could that be fixed by adjusting the handlebars/etc., or is that just the geometry of the bike?

Thanks again!
The components on a 7 speed is usually entry level components. Which isn't the best for what it does and breaks down more easily. Walmart bikes has entry level and no name brand components. If I was to get a brand name bike. I would at least get one that has a notch up in components etc when compare with the big box store's bikes. Plus, with a 7 speed. You will find yourself wanting more gears. Most likely a 7 speed bike would be a bit slower than a 8 speed.

You need to make sure that the bike fits you and get the proper adjustments. You might be able to find a new, but older bike like a 2010 or 2011 Trek 7.2 FX for a cheaper price.