View Single Post
Old 07-31-05, 07:16 AM
farrellcollie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSpalding
What piffle. First off, odds are the LBS has only seen Boardwalks and Piccolos. Dahon has a huge range of bikes. Giant has one (two somewhere, but I've never seen that suspension version advertised for sale in the U.S.) If you match the Halfway up with a Dahon of similar price/features, they will be comparable. Maybe the fit and finish of the Giant's frame will be better. May be the components of the Dahon will be slightly more upgraded, but either way, you get what you pay for. Dahon has half a dozen high end bikes that are very impressive, for which Giant has no competition. My point is that I disagree with the opinion of your LBS as it applies to Dahon's entire range.

I bought a dahon speed 8 because I did not think the giant would fit me as well - but the dahon has been in the shop several times for gear/chain issues (known problems to dahon which are well discussed on dahon's forums)- and the range dahon lists as to rider size I found to be optimistic rather than accurate. I am not saying I would be happier with giant halfway- just that my mid range dahon has not been without quality issues in my opinion. I am happier with our downtube and my friend is glad she bought KHS instead of dahon. My input about my experience with lbs was just to let the previous writer, who said he was wondering about his purchase, know what i had heard from lbs. - Lbs did know I was considering Dahon speed 8 and said that for the money, he would buy the giant.