Old 07-31-05, 11:37 AM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chzman
very few in here will like them, but i do. if the rest of your bike is built with modern parts, i'd say try them.

i mean, 'too few hand positions', wtf does that mean? do you get bored with the normal hand position and them decide to mix it up for entertainment value? if anything, i would say the human body is the limiting factor of comfort in this case.
Unless you have ridden on a bike with literally only one or two hand positions its hard to understand. Your hands can/will actually go numb from sitting in the same position for long periods of time, even in a good riding position. Cramping can also occur.

On tradition road bars, you have the drops, the hoods, and variouls points across the top of the bars. Standard Bullhords give you a few as well.

These give you 1 specific hand position on the bar ends (just wide enough for a hand, no movement. The flat of these bars is flat and wide, which doesn't allow you to grip it, although I've tried simply resting my hands on the flats a couple times.

So changing hand positions isn't for entertainment, but necessary, especially in long rides.