Old 05-13-12, 09:21 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
I commute to work, about 6.5 miles round trip. I usually do some longer rides on the weekends.

My problem is I need to loose some pounds (on me, not the bike!). I am trying to make a lifestyle change in the way I eat.
Considering this is a bike forum, naturally most in here are going to tell you to ride your bike more. That's good advice but I think you probably need a more complete cardio workout routine if your goal is to lose weight. Consider adding inclined walking and some upper body workout routines. You'll be surprised how much cardio you get from a upper body workout. This can be as simple as taking 5 pound weights and raising them up and down alternating arms. Doing plain squats without weights will also give you an incredible workout. You can do them during commercials while watching TV.

Now the hunger issue... are you on medications? A lot of those meds cause hunger, so if you are on meds, talk to your doctor and tell him your hungry, maybe he/she can give you realistic suggestions on suppressing your hunger.

But even if you don't shed a pound, you'll be fine for a 3 day unsupported ride, and as many in here will suggest, perhaps do an overnight ride unsupported to shake out your equipment.