View Single Post
Old 05-14-12, 12:34 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I read somewhere that when this theory was tested (bunch of men and women measured) that women were not found to have larger inseams than men relative to their height. I have no idea if women specific frames are actually designed with this assumption (longer legs, shorter torsos) but you could find out pretty easy by studying some manufacturer geometry charts. Women, obviously, are shorter on average so you tend to get a selection of smaller frame sizes in women specific bikes.
Let's look at Trek's frame geometries for 15" FX mens vs 15" FX WSD

Effective top tube length: Men's 54.4 cm; 15" WSD is 53.3 cm. 1.1 cm shorter for women.
Standover: 15" 69.3 cm; 15" WSD 69.7 cm. So slightly higher stand over for women.

So it does appear that Trek has slightly adjusted the frame in their WSD's to have a shorter top tube (for shorter torso or arms?) and a very slight taller stand over.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post