Old 05-14-12, 05:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by David Broon
This is a little OT, but do you find that you have to build bikes/wheels differently because of the power you can induce?
Yes.

Torque during standing starts (where max torque happens) is a function of body weight. So, a bike for me would have to be stiffer than normal. I would easily flex standard steel frames like the Bianchi Pista. Then of course I'd need a higher spoke count for the rear wheel which gets torque transferred to it from the cranks via the chain. Lesser wheels feel mushy in the turns when the G forces are greater. I run 160PSI when others run a lot less. I've broken a Thomson X2 (2-bolt) stem during a standing start, so now I only use 4-bolt stems.

I had issues with my Felt TK1 because of the 1-bolt saddle binder not holding the saddle level. I'd hit a bump and the nose would tilt downward.

One good thing is that my bike/rider weight ratio is better. (BTW, I think this is a better way of evaluating bike weight). Let's say my bike is 17.5lbs with race wheels. At 240lbs, that's a ratio of 7.29%. For me to ride this bike would be like a 170lb guy riding a 12.4lb bike! So, I don't really sweat an extra gram here and there.