Old 05-15-12, 01:40 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I know I have hills and run a triple 50/39/30 with an 11/25 cassette. If steeper or more hills I change to 11/27 cassette and at 30/27 on most of our hills I manage to keep the cadence above stress level. There are occasions when I feel that a 30t may help and that would give me a low gear of 30/30 which is sustained mountain gearing to me and is what I used in the Alpes a few years ago.

Problem is finding the bike you want with a triple. I also ride compacts with 50/34 and I am not fit at present so the steep hills are taken at a low cadence and a bit more joint stress. There is always the chance that the shop will change a compact to a triple at a "Nominal" charge but there are several manufacturers that make bikes in compact or triple. Saying that I thought Giant did but can't see one on their site.

But getting back to that low gearing-I climbed mountains with 30/30 gearing-or 1 to 1 ratio. If you try to get this with a compact you will have to think a 34 cassette and 34/34 will be that 1 to 1. It would involve a rear derailleur change and a longer chain but would do the job. The problem would be the ratio between the gears and it could bug you on the lower gears. Just struggling in one gear with cadence low and change down and find yourself spinning a bit too fast. I get that with the 12/27 so for me an 11/34 would be worse. But when gravity goes the wrong way and you start slipping into those lower gears- you need them. I know I do.

But have you been able to try a compact geared bike up your steeper hills? The jump between the 50 and 34 is something you get used to so will not be a problem. First road bike with a triple and low gear was 30/26. I was blowing first few times up the steep hill in our area and never got any easier. Then I got a compact with 34/27 and eventually tried that hill. It was hard with the compact but no harder than with the triple but it was faster. Different quality of bike I know but the gearing was something I did get used to. Bought my last bike only a few months ago and a compact 50/34 with a 12/25 cassette. That is not a hill bike for me but will be when the Tiagra 30t goes on it.

Spike Milligan