Old 05-15-12, 09:48 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
These quotes bring up new questions. While searching I read some posts about swapping a Tiagra cassette for a 105 and even one that talked about swapping two rings from something (I think Tiagra) into an Ultegra cassette to build a custom set with a wider range. So, it sounds like there is a lot of flexibilty in these things. What are the actual differences between the various 10 speed cassettes (Tiagra, 105, Ultegra) other than tooth counts -- different materials? And does a degree of interchangeability extend to other brands or just within a brand? Going even further to Monoborracho's situation, does switching all the way to an MTB cassette require changing the rear derailleur and or the shifter or can you just pop a new one in?
The shifting quality of Shimano cassettes is very much the same regardless of group, such as Tiagra, 105 or Ultegra.

Construction, weight and durability change with each level, although it's hard to find much difference between 105 and Ultegra cassettes. The less expensive cassettes tend to be the most durable, but are heavier. The more expensive cassettes are lighter, but might use alloy on a few of the cogs, these will wear more quickly.

Some of the newer cassettes need to use a matching chain for best performance.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.