Old 05-15-12, 09:51 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
If you're taking one pair of bike shorts on tour, I'd say that's too ultralight.
I took one pair of bike shorts on my February ride from San Diego to Sarasota and never wished for a second pair.

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
15 pounds to 20 pounds? Not so much, especially at touring speeds.
As someone who has done two consecutive tours at approximately those two weights, I disagree. There are a few reasons why that difference may be more significant than it initially appears. On those two rides the points that made the difference for me were:
  1. The gap between those two gear weights is about the point where I go to a lighter more sporty bike. So I wind up with lighter frame, components, wheels, and tires. It is also the point where I go from panniers to stuff sacks. To me that all matters in how much I enjoy the ride.
  2. If riding with someone else small differences can matter more when you are near your comfort limit wrt pace.
  3. Regardless of pace, riding a lighter sportier bike is just more fun.
  4. It is a little easier climbing and accelerating. Maybe only a little, but enough to matter to at least some of us.
Those differences may or may not make any difference in how many days the ride takes. They do make a difference in how the ride feels, and based on two tours at the two weights, at least I think so.