Old 05-15-12, 02:06 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
Neat tool. Looks like you could easily make one by building a frame for the wheels with a big cutout in the middle and using something to push the center of the wheel down. I wonder if you could even use something as simple as a lever?
Anyone can build one bobotech, the fundamental issue is the following:

"Control"

1. Determining the limits to operate in for a given wheel that is being built in volume...

AND

2. Ensuring the the minimal amount of stress relief is occuring to ensure a properly stress relieve wheel.

So testing, scale determination, and calibration is required as part of the tool design.

The benefits are - anyone can do it on the line with minimal training - AND it can function in a high volume environment. Like a spoke machine - it would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Using the hard parallel squeeze method works fine - but it's slower AND some folks back off on "hard" thinking they're going to damage the wheel - not realizing you'd probably bust your own fingers and palms or cry like a baby before you can do that - resulting in a wheel that still is not stress relieved.

One misinterpretation some folks have with Jobst is the belief that he is against the method picture in the video - manipulating the hub, OR the rim. The truth is he against it in the absence of controls to avoid destruction of the wheel.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life